Cataracts: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Cataracts are a common vision condition that often develop as people age. They tend to begin around age 60 (or sooner) and progress over the years to become more serious. However, if you have cataracts, you also have options for managing and treating them through advances in optometry.
- Cloudy vision
- Blurry vision
- Filmy vision
- Colors become less vivid
- Difficulty seeing/driving at night
- Double vision
- Eyeglasses and contact lenses no longer work as well
Causes of Cataracts
Cataracts are caused by a buildup of protein on the lenses of the eyes. The result is a film or protein layer over the eye that can obstruct vision and affect your eyesight. Light cannot penetrate cataracts, and the thicker they get, the more they obstruct your vision. While the main cause is the effect of aging on the eyes, there are a number of other factors:
- Genetics - If a close relative had cataracts, you are more likely to get them.
- Eye Injury - A traumatic injury to the eye can increase the likelihood of a cataract developing.
- Congenital - In some cases, infants are born with cataracts due to infection, developmental issues or injury in the womb.
- Medical Effects - Medical conditions such as diabetes can cause or exacerbate cataracts.
- Exposure and Side Effects - Exposure to ultraviolet light, toxic substances, radiation or certain medications can also cause cataracts.
- Lifestyle - Poor lifestyle habits like smoking or exposure to second hand cigarette smoke; heavy drinking and air pollution can also increase the likelihood of getting cataracts.
If you suspect you are developing cataracts, see your optometrist in Katy for a diagnosis. We’ll test for cataracts as well as other vision issues.
Katy Optometrist Offers Cataract Diagnosis, Expert Advice
Your Katy Optometrist at Today's Vision Cinco Ranch offers comprehensive eye care and expert diagnosis of eye conditions such as cataracts. If you require cataract surgery, we can provide advice, guidance and a referral to a qualified, experienced surgeon to perform the procedure. Your Katy optometrist can also provide pre-surgery consultations and post-surgical aftercare.
In addition to eye exams and prescriptions, your Katy eye doctor can also treat ocular emergencies, pediatric vision needs, give LASIK consultations and evaluate retinal health using the Optomap retinal imaging technology. Today's Vision in Cinco Ranch and Katy also brings you a range of designer eyeglass frame options.