How Sports Vision Enhances Athletic Performance
Athletes have special vision requirements that go far beyond what’s needed for everyday activities. From hand-eye coordination to visual tracking to depth perception, vision is crucial to success in just about every sport.
Your Optometrist in Katy Offers Sports Vision Testing, Treatment
Sports vision testing and therapies from your optometrist in Katy can assist athletes in a variety of ways. Some of the most important areas of sports vision include:
- Hand-Eye Coordination - This ability allows athletes who play sports that involve a ball or puck to more effectively navigate the requirements of their sport.
- Depth Perception - Improved depth perception allows athletes to negotiate distances and move accordingly for the best effect.
- Visual Tracking - An effective eye tracking ability allows for anticipating the movement of a ball or opponent.
- Peripheral Vision - Side vision is also essential in sports that involve a lot of activity and awareness of both opponents and teammates.
Sports Vision Testing Types and Options
There are a number of sports vision testing procedures that can effectively test all of these areas and more. The following are some examples of the most effective and insightful types of sports vision testing that athletes have access to:
- Visual memory testing
- Visual processing speed measurement
- Eye tracking
- Eye dominance testing
- Depth perception assessment
- The Snellen eye chart
- Ocular alignment testing
- Contrast sensitivity testing
- Visual reaction times
- Eye teaming tests
Once all aspects of an athlete’s vision are fully tested and assessed, your Katy optometrist can proceed with a treatment plan. With a full assessment of both your vision strengths and weaknesses, together we will be able to develop the areas that are lagging and bring key treatments and enhancements to improve overall sports vision.
Eye training can assist in many areas of sports vision so that you can play your sport better than ever before. You will also be better able to avoid injury by making mistakes or errors in judgment that are related to defects in vision.
Katy Optometry Clinic Experienced in Sports Vision Training Techniques
Computer simulations from your Katy optometry clinic are an effective training tool that can allow athletes to work on and strengthen specific areas of vision. Using “internal” vision to enhance performance and anticipate/practice successful outcomes are another way to help enhance sports performance through sports vision treatments and training. Contact Vision Cinco Ranch of Katy today to schedule your sports vision exam.